Hardwood floors provide a clean and timeless look in any home. Properly maintaining your hardwood flooring will help preserve its stylish appearance, as well as its durability. Here are a few tips for taking care of your hardwood flooring:
- Know your finish: From waxes and acrylics to polyurethane and catalyzed, there are various types of finishes for hardwood floors. Although basic care is the same for all types, methods for restoring the finish or removing stains will differ.
- Use floor mats and furniture protectors: To prevent scratches, foam protectors can be placed on the bottom of chairs, table legs, and other furniture. Dirt and other particles can also scratch your floor, so a mat or carpet placed at an entryway will encourage people to wipe their feet and keep dirt outside.
- Shade from sunlight: The sun can easily bleach the color of your wood flooring. Consider buying curtains or shutters to protect your floor from exposure to harmful UV rays.
- Avoid oil soaps: Soaps that contain oil can be harsh on the wood and complicate the process of adding a maintenance coat to the floor. Instead, look for soaps that have a neutral pH balance and are made exclusively for wood floors.
- Limit water when mopping: Before you wet the floor, wring the mop so that it becomes at least half-dry. Unless your finish is in poor shape, mopping with limited water should not damage the wood, as its real purpose is to clean the finish. Excess water exposure to the wood can cause warping and other damage.
At Rick’s Carpet and Flooring, we understand the importance of preserving the appearance and the condition of your hardwood flooring. To learn more or to talk to one of our flooring experts, call us today at (571) 482-7575.